Mittwoch, 19. September 2018, 07:14 UTC+2

Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

• Anmelden
  • Registrieren

Dienstag, 4. März 2014, 14:40

Experiences so far using other open-wrt sources on MZK-NAS02SG

Hey AQUAR,
Thought I would add an update on my experiences so far with the source I listed on the other NFS thread since that was getting off topic.
As I said, I had no problems installing the mdadm package for the gemini SOC, but I do not have a whole lot to describe.
I used a cheap USB hub, non powered, and plugged two WD 500GB Book powered drives in. Don't remember the model are about 5-6 years old I guess.
Well, I created 3 partitions on each, 500MB,256GB,and the rest as an extended.
I used the commands to create a 0 level raid, no other reason, but to create it in the middle of the physical drive.
Creating the drive took no time, but the format as type ext4 took forever. 6 hours maybe? I had to create a /etc/mdadm folder for the mdadm.conf file which kind of worried me.
I made a test file and placed it in the mounted partition, and rebooted. After reboot, the array wasn't automatically started. Need to find out where the config file should go.
I performed a quick scan and auto reassemble
mdadm --assemble --scan

And the md0 device showed up again. My file was there after I mounted.
Was the experience from before the same as well?

AQUAR

Schüler

Mittwoch, 5. März 2014, 07:01

Hi t3ch42,

Yes its better to start a new thread .

Have a look at this thread Installing the 2 drives in mirror RAID 1
That one describes the experience from the only other person that was interested in software raid.

The interest was for RAID 1, so see if you can get that working.
I did contact the developer of this software once and might solicit for help if needed.

Also I can set up my test unit and experiment along side, as long as I get some help wrt Linux (if needed!).
The test unit is set up for easy recovery via the serial port.
So if a configuration change causes kernel panic I can restore it quickly.

Samstag, 8. März 2014, 04:11

Real quick,
I tried to create a mirror RAID using the devices, but it never recognized them.
I would think that we should be able to build using either the device or partitions.
Granted, I didn't put too much into it the other night.
Will check it out this weekend if I can get some time.

AQUAR

Schüler

Samstag, 8. März 2014, 10:46

Thanks for the feedback.

Hopefully you will work through the issues and find out what needs doing to add RAID 1 functionality.

Freitag, 14. März 2014, 15:42

Working, just extremely slow sync time. Haven't rebooted but thinking that the problem for not being present after reboot may be a init issue? Not quite sure.

root@NAS:/mnt/md0p1# cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [multipath] [faulty]
md0 : active raid1 sdd[1] sdc[0]
488255360 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]
[>....................] resync = 1.9% (9742144/488255360) finish=42560.6min speed=187K/sec

unused devices: <none>
root@NAS:/mnt/md0p1#

Any thoughts on speeding this process up?

AQUAR

Schüler

Sonntag, 16. März 2014, 06:48

Seems very promising so far.
No thought on how to speed up this process but hopefully its just a one time setup inconvenience.

I wonder if slow resync speed is typical for these types of NAS devices with low processing power.
Maybe others can give some feedback relative to NAS devices with RAID 1 functionality.