Donnerstag, 23. November 2017, 12:20 UTC+1

Sie sind nicht angemeldet.

• Anmelden
  • Registrieren

Lieber Besucher, herzlich willkommen bei: NAS Forum. Falls dies Ihr erster Besuch auf dieser Seite ist, lesen Sie sich bitte die Hilfe durch. Dort wird Ihnen die Bedienung dieser Seite näher erläutert. Darüber hinaus sollten Sie sich registrieren, um alle Funktionen dieser Seite nutzen zu können. Benutzen Sie das Registrierungsformular, um sich zu registrieren oder informieren Sie sich ausführlich über den Registrierungsvorgang. Falls Sie sich bereits zu einem früheren Zeitpunkt registriert haben, können Sie sich hier anmelden.

Freitag, 29. Juli 2011, 19:28

Edimax NS-2502 firmware update failed - How to recover data

Hello all,

I manually resetted the NAS after deciding that 50 minutes of non-resposiveness after applying a firmware update (ver 0.74c from edimax.ru) over wifi was abnormal. (Please don't tell me it was normal... :( )
Result: My NAS is bricked.
I am reading about the JTAG/serial reflashing procedure and wonder if it makes sense (I would need to read A LOT)

My NAS had 2 1TB drives in RAID1 configuration, so, in the meantime, knowing that RAID means "mirroring" I wonder if I could just read one of the drives in some way to copy the data.
Is there any way to do this?

For example, does any of you know if this particular NAS makes propietary changes in the partition tables which would render the drives unreadable? (I don't need to boot from the drives)

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Regards.

AQUAR

Schüler

Samstag, 30. Juli 2011, 13:17

Hi Hoolito,

Firmware upgrade should not take that long.
I assume you downloaded the firmware first to your PC and applied it from there (after verifying its checksum).

Are you sure it is bricked?
Any lights come up?
Does the NAS have a ping response from its network address?

Try installing one of the HD's into a PC and run a Live CD linux distribution to access its partitions.

Aquar

Samstag, 30. Juli 2011, 19:00

Hi Aquar,

Thanks 4 replying.
I think it is bricked because, when turned on, only the top led (power) would light up (it blinks slowly)... no change after time.
Also, holding the RELEASE button for 5 sec (which should reset the device) doesn't do anything.
Ping gets also no response.

I managed to go to a friend and mount one of the 1TB disks as ext4 in his Ubuntu Linux (as read-only, just in case). All data was there intact and we left it copying to another 2TB disk.

What brings us to the getting the NAS to work, but now I feel less pressure...
I downloaded the FW (I did not had a checksum value so I didn't check that.
..)
I logged in to the web-interface via http (wirelessly (I know... )) and I applied it.

Are those serial/JTAG cables available commercially?
I did 3 years of electronics at school... but I guess I'm lazy...

Greetings
Julian

AQUAR

Schüler

Sonntag, 31. Juli 2011, 09:05

Firmware update by WIFI! :P - live dangerously and - :smoke:..........
Now you will have to learn how to unbrick the NAS by some judicious reading.
There are two unbricking guides that give you the insight you need viz,

http://en.nas-4220.org/index.php/Unbricking_guide

http://mrt.nas-central.org/index.php/The…nbricking_guide

The Edimax box is hard to open up and usually you will break some of the one way latches.
Start at the back and with a credit card pry and lift the edge of the box away from its side.
Then pray that the bootloader still works so that there will be a working serial port.
Else you will also need the JTAG connection.

The serial port pinout and location can be found at the top of this sub-forum.

Before breaking the NAS Box (I meant breaking into!) try this procedure:

With disks removed, hold both buttons on the front and power on:
KIT scanner on the leds (keep holding the buttons), all lights off (keep
holding) and some lights go on (now release). This has recovered the firmware for a select few.

You can buy a usb 2 serial breadboard based on an FTDI FT232 chip that you can configure to work with the NAS
(both JTAG and Serial). Ebay usually has some.
Just to be sure - Never connect the NAS directly to the PC's serial port.

Aquar

Sonntag, 31. Juli 2011, 12:58

Thanks!
Do you mean something like this? http://cgi.ebay.nl/ADAPTATEUR-USB-RS232-…=item3cb835e1f9
I need something close.. I live in Belgium...

I think the serial method is as far as I would go (still not sure though..)
I read the JTAG method done on the NS-2502 in this same forum and tha
I'll let you know.. thanks for the help!!

Best,
Julian

AQUAR

Schüler

Sonntag, 31. Juli 2011, 14:16

You need an adapter that does voltage level translation, as the NAS serial port operates at 3.3 volts.
I can't tell if that adapter is set up for 5.0 volts or 3.3 volts on the signal lines.
Most of these integrated cable types are either one or the other.
Look for a breadboard type usb 2 serial as they normally have a select link to set it up for either (using USB voltage or an internal 3.3 volt regulator).

JTAG is only for flashing the Redboot debug/bootloader (and only with using HWguru's JTAG program).
Firmware is done via the serial port with xmodem or TFTP.

I know it looks scary, but you have nothing to lose but a bricked NAS.
I have purposely bricked my NAS to learn my way through the recovery process (read first, ask questions to clarify and then try it) .

The guru's here will help out with anything tricky if needed, after you have done the homework.

Aquar

Montag, 1. August 2011, 14:25

Just FYI,
The trick of the buttons did the KIT scanner, but in the end, it did not revover the firmware.

.. waiting for a reply from the vendor of the kit to see if it is 3.3 or 5 volt...

Question, where would find the chechksum value with which I need to validate the firmware?
It was not in the zipped package and also not within the included "Release Notes" text file.
Version is 0.74c (downloaded from edimax.ru)

Cheers

AQUAR

Schüler

Dienstag, 2. August 2011, 14:02

I have an MvixBox and their firmwares releases also never include the checksum.
I guess being zipped there is some CRC checking.
I download firmwares twice and compare them.

Aquar

Sonntag, 20. Oktober 2013, 14:13

Maybe a bit late as an answer to this thread, but it really helped me and I wanted to thank you people!
And I'd like to share my experience/information.

I bought a USB-to-RS232 3.3V TTL cable from FTDI sold for the Raspberry Pi,
because of it's good availability (at least in germany).

http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/RPi.htm
http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

And with the information from this thread:

DN-7024 Recovery - wo ist das Serielle und JTAG Port? (10 pin connector)

about the 180 degree rotation of the serial port pins on JP1 I got the serial connection
to the Edimax NS-2502 with Putty to work at once.

Finally I chose "Y: Upgrade Kernel" in the bootloader to flash the latest original Edimax
firmware (images_0.74c_Edimax_20100709.bin) from a TFTP server.

Thus opening the case of the NAS took longer than the whole unbricking. And with
the restored firmware, all data on the harddrives was accessible again.

Thanks again!

AQUAR

Schüler

Dienstag, 22. Oktober 2013, 09:32

Always good to get some feedback on positive results, as it helps others avoid disaster.

The edimax MTD (flash memory) layout most likely differs from the MvixBox or Planex versions.
By using the serial port to flash an MTD partition, via redboot, you have to make sure you flash the correct partition.
Else it becomes a "bigger brick" and recovery falls back to the JTAG port for reflashing (possible thanks to HWguru's work) .

Making a backup of these MTD partitions is a pretty good idea for any NAS box.